- 1 UO Luck Guide
- 1.1 How important is luck?
- 1.2 Do I need luck to find magic items?
- 1.3 How is luck determined when hunting in groups?
- 1.4 How does luck work with Bards and Tamers?
- 1.5 Does luck affect loot in treasure chests?
- 1.6 Does luck affect Crafting?
- 1.7 Is there a cap on luck?
- 1.8 Does anything other than item properties affect your luck value?
- 1.9 How do I find out what my luck value is?
UO Luck Guide
All players have a rating called "luck" that can be modified by items that have "luck" as a property. Luck affects the loot you can find on monsters (that you kill) in three different ways:
- Luck can affect the number of magic items the monster drops. The higher your luck, the more likely the monster will drop an additional magic item. However, it will not increase the number of magic items beyond what the creature's template allows. For example, if a Troll's template says it can drop between 1-2 magic items, having a high amount of luck may allow 2 magic items to appear in the Troll’s loot, but high luck will not make it drop 3.
- Luck can affect the number of properties on each magic item. The higher your luck, the more properties each object can have (up to the maximum number of properties each item allows).
- Luck can affect the intensities of the properties on each magic item. The higher your luck, the higher each property might be raised in intensity. However, it will not increase a property beyond the maximum intensity that the template allows.
The higher your luck, the more bonuses you can get. An extremely lucky person might find all 3 bonus groups applied to the loot drop from a monster he or she kills.
How important is luck?
Luck is very important on UO Darwinism Custom Shard. We have scripted luck into most of the custom systems and it influences many of the rare drops on monsters and loot packs
Do I need luck to find magic items?
You do not need to have luck in order to find magic items. However, luck can increase the quality of the magic items that you do find.
How is luck determined when hunting in groups?
The effect that luck has on the magic items a monster drops is determined by the luck of the person that deals the most damage to that monster (the "top attacker".) So, if you're hunting with a group of people, it would be wise to have the person that has the highest amount of the luck do the most damage to any creatures you kill.
How does luck work with Bards and Tamers?
Pets, summoned creatures, and provoked creatures act as sort of an extension of the player. So, even though the Bard or Tamer is not doing direct damage, their luck is still factored in when the monster generates its loot pack upon death, as long as the majority of the damage was dealt by the provoked or tamed creature.
Does luck affect loot in treasure chests?
UO Darwinism has a custom treasure chest system and luck is heavily factored into getting the rare loot drops.
Does luck affect Crafting?
Luck also plays an important part in runic crafting or enhancement.
Is there a cap on luck?
There is currently no hard cap on luck - your luck is limited only by the items you can find and the skills/luck that you can add (see below.)
The only cap restriction is that a single item is only allowed to have a max of 200 luck applied to it
There are a few exceptions:
- There are +100 luck deeds available to add to items, up to a max of 200 on each item
- Some special items have luck of more than 200+ naturally
- Several event/holiday items may have 200+ luck
- Items have been crafted with random luck higher than 200+
- You can add up to +1000 luck to our special, zero-slot ethereal mounts
- Some special luck deeds have been available that will increase the cap to +300 or +400 from our shard anniversary gifts
Does anything other than item properties affect your luck value?
Yes - The Bushido skill "Perfection" is added to your luck stat for the purposes of determining the loot of the monster that you achieved perfection on. (It's not a time-based buff or anything, it's just a one-shot.) The actual amount of luck is the perfection bonus squared, divided by ten - so, if you have achieved max perfection, you'll get a bonus of 1000 luck added to your base luck for the loot rolls on that critter.
How do I find out what my luck value is?
In the 2D client: Drag off your stat bar and double-click it to open your character sheet. Your luck is indicated by the number next to the green four-leaf clover symbol.
Here are some good websites and resources: